Monday, February 9, 2015

February Series- Math Picture Books to Love!

This month I will be writing a blog series featuring math picture books that I love to use in the classroom. I began collecting picture books in college and have been a collector ever since. Picture books are a great way to engage students and to teach/ reinforce grade level content and skills through literature. Last fall, I wrote a series about "Engaging Mathematics" and included a post about integrating Amy Axelrod's picture books into your everyday mathematics classroom. Read the post here

I have chosen 15 picture books that span a variety of grade levels and skills. Each day, I will share a new book title with the following information: 

  • Target Skill(s)
  • Book Synopsis
  • Math Involved
  • Questions to Ponder
  • Activity Ideas 
  • Book Link on Amazon
There are many math-focused picture books available; however, they are not generally available at your local bookstore. I have been able to find almost all of the books on Amazon.com, so that is a good place to start looking for these fantastic resources. 

I hope you enjoy my "Math Picture Books to Love" series and use these books to add some great math literature to your everyday curriculum!