Wednesday, November 4, 2015

What I'm Reading Wednesday: Making Number Talks Matter- Chapter 3

Chapter 3 of Making Number Talks Matter by Cathy Humphreys and Ruth Parker is a list of guiding principles to support the purposeful decision making of teachers as they use number talks with students in the classroom. One of the guiding principles that the authors emphasize throughout this chapter is the importance of sense-making. The power of number talks comes from allowing students the space and time to create strategies that make sense to them. So, in the spirit of sense-making, I have chosen to present my Chapter 3 take-aways as a graphic with short summarizing big ideas. Enjoy!




Sound Off! How important are these big ideas to the success of number talks?


Note: In order to honor the authors' work, I will only share my own personal experiences, thoughts, and reflections as related to the book's content. If something really strikes me, I will share a quote from time to time with the appropriate citations. 
Reference: Humphreys, C and Parker, R. (2016). Making Number Talks Matter. Portland, Maine: Stenhouse Publishers


0 comments:

Post a Comment